Discuss three circumstances under which citizenship might be revoked under the following headings:
If a person acquired citizenship by registration;
If a person acquired citizenship by birth.
Circumstances under which citizenship might be revoked
If a person acquired citizenship by registration
- He ceases to be a citizen of Kenya upon registration of the declaration
- A person who is a citizen of Kenya and also some other countries at the age of 21 ceases to be a citizen of Kenya at the age of 23.
(ii) If a person acquired citizenship by birth
- The person acquired the citizenship by fraud, false representation or concealment of any material fact.
- The person has during any war in which Kenya was engaged, unlawfully traded or communicated with an enemy or been engaged in or associated with any business that was knowingly carried on in such a manner to assist an enemy in that war.
- The person has within 5 years after registration been convicted of an offence and sentenced to imprisonment for a term of 3 years.