• Lapsing: a legacy lapses in circumstances in which the beneficiary predecease the donor.
• Ademption: a legacy deems if a particular subject matter bequeathed to a particular beneficiary does not belong to the testator or does not exist.
• Abatement: a legacy abates if the testators estate cannot satisfy all legacies.
• Uncertainty: a legacy fails if there uncertainty as to the beneficiary or the subject matter of the legacy.
• Illegality: a legacy fails if the gift its subject matter is illegal by law.