Free Access to KNEC College Past Examination Papers
This Past Paper examination was examined by the Kenya National Examination Council (KNEC) and it applies to the following Certificate courses
Note: To easily navigate through the KNEC Past Examination Paper Pdf below, Mobile phone users are advised to use Mozilla or Chrome browsers
Time: 21/2 hours
THE KENYA NATIONAL EXAMINATIONS COUNCIL
CERTIFICATE EARLY CHILDHOOD
DEVELOPMENT AND EDUCATION
INSTRUCTIONS TO CANDIDATES
Write your name and index number in the spaces provided above.
Sign and write the date of examination in the spaces provided above.
This question paper consists of Two sections; A and B.
Answer ALL the questions in section A and any FOUR questions in section B.
Answers to both sections A and B must be written in the spaces provided in this booklet.
Do Not Remove any pages from this booklet.
Candidates should answer the questions in English.
SECTION A (40 MARKS)
Answer ALL the questions in this section in the spaces provided.
1. a) Define the term Readiness Skill. (2 marks)
b) Identify four reasons for developing Reading Readiness Skill in pre – school children. (4 marks)
c) Outline four ways in which the recitation of poems would enhance oral skills of pre – school children. (4 marks)
2. a) Explain the term concept. (2 marks)
b) List four material required by an Early Childhood development and Education (ECDE) teacher during a colour mixing activity. (4 marks)
c) Identify four advantages for the improvisation of materials for creative art activity. (4 marks)
3. a) State two types of wind instruments that a pre – school teacher can develop with pre – school children during a Music and Movement activity. (2 marks)
b) Propose four safety measures that should be considered when constructing a slide for pre – school children. (4 marks)
c) Identify four characteristics of children’s songs. (4 marks)
4. a) Explain the term extended family. (2 marks)
b) Explain the following religious festivals:
i) Hajj; (1 mark)
ii) Diwali; (1 mark)
iii) Easter. (1 mark)
c) Outline five activities that a pre – school teacher would use when teaching the geometrical concept of circle shape to 5 – 6 year old children. (5 marks)
SECTION B (60 MARKS)
Answer any FOUR questions from this section in the spaces provided after question 9.
5. a) Outline five advantages of Mother Tongue to a pre – school child. (5 marks)
b) Discuss five ways a pre – school teacher would use to help a child who has pronunciation difficulties. (10 marks)
6. a) Identify seven precautions that an ECDE teacher should take when teaching pre – school children to use the sense of taste in a science activity. (7 marks)
b) Explain four factors that an ECDE teacher would consider when developing questions for pre- school children during observation in a science activity. (8 marks)
7. a) Give seven reasons that make it necessary for an ECDE teacher to take pre – school children for a visit during creative activity. (7 marks)
b) Discuss four factors that a pre–school teacher should consider when developing a number pocket. (8 marks)
8. a) Outline seven interventions a teacher would use to assist a pre – school child who has not achieved the expected physical developmental milestones. (7 marks)
b) Justify the importance of teaching the Kenya National Anthem to a pre – school child. (8 marks)
9. a) Propose five ways in which a pre – school teacher would promote cultural identify during Music and Movement activity. (5 marks)
b) Discuss five reasons that make dramatization an effective method in teaching religious activity. (10 marks)