Explain five remedies which the High Court might award a party whose fundamental rights and freedoms have been infringed upon
Remedies available to a party whose rights and freedoms have been infringed:-
- Habeas Corpus – an order to produce a person who is unlawfully detained.
- Certiorari – an order to quash the decision of a lower court or quasi-judicial body for acting in excess of jurisdiction.
- Mandamus – an order to command or direct a public officer to carry out a public duty.
- Prohibition – an order of the High Court preventing an inferior court from hearing a case.
- Damages – This is a common law remedy designed to compensate the innocent party by an award of unliquidated damages. .
- Injunction – This is a court order telling a person either to do a thing or refrain’ from doing a particular act. declaration