Joint tenancy arises where two or more persons own something jointly. It has the features of single proprietorship. It is characterized by the right of survivorship i.e. jus accresscendi and the four unities, namely:
• Unity of possession: all possess any part of the land
• Unity of interest: all tenants have equal but undivided shares
• Unity of time: the interest are acquired at the same time.
• Unity of title: the tenants acquired title either by the same instrument or by operationof the same statute or through the same process of adverse possession.
• Each tenant holds nothing by himself and at the same time holds the entire property collectively as co-owners.