Define the term ‘law’ and Outline four purpose of law in society
Definition of the term ‘law’ of law and its purpose in the society
Law is defined as follows:-
- Law is a set or body of rules made by human beings to govern human conduct.
- Law also denotes the processes and structures that are involved in the administration of justice in a particular legal system.
Purposes of law in a society:-
- Facilitates administration of justice and promote cohesion in the society.
- An Instrument used by human beings to achieve justice through the courts of law and other tribunals.
- Assists in the maintenance of peace and order by promoting peaceful co-existence and prevents anarchy in the society.
- Promotes good governance in the society as it controls the actions of public officers and institutions.
- Provides legal remedies, promotes protection of fundamental rights and freedom of individuals.
- Standard setting
- Giving effect to private choices