Define the term “invitation to treat.” and explain for types of invitation to treat
Invitation to treat:
The letter is merely an invitation to make an offer and no contract can result from it alone.
Types of invitation to treat
- Advertisement is usually an invitation to treat. It is the starting point for negotiations with anyone reading it and responding it.
- Auction sales: Usually there is an agreement every bidder and seller must sell setting out whether bids can be withdraw.
- Sale of Goods: The sale by auction is complete at the fall of the harmer, signifying the acceptance by auctioneer himself.
- Tender: A tender is an estimate given in response to a request. An invitation for tender is an invitation to treat. It’s not an offer to use the person quoting the lowest price.
- Exhibition of goods for sale; Display of priced goods are not offer; they are only invitation to treat. An offer is created when the customer presents the item to the cashier together with payment.