The term law has no assigned meaning. It has no specific definition. However, it has been used in a variety of sense by different writers who have attempted to explain it.
• The study of law is referred to as jurisprudence. According to Hart law is coercive instrument for regulating social behaviour.
• Law has been described as a command backed by sanctions of the sovereign.
• The sovereign formulates the commands and enforces sanction. These two explanations of term law cannot accommodate all the branches of law in existence.
• According to Salmond, law consists of a body of principles recognized and applied by the state in the administration of justice. Law has also been defined as collection of binding rules of human conduct prescribed by human beings for the obedience of human beings.
• Law may be described as an aggregate of rules enforced by courts of law.